Your friendly neighborhood cover artist!

So we just purchased tickets to see an interview with Sarah Vowell and Daniel Handler this coming Spring. And thinking about this anticipated evening (Sarah Vowell is one of my favorite "historians"), I found myself thinking about the clever illustrations and cover art these authors use for their books. Then I thought about how underappreciated illustrators are these days. I can remember a time when we read books in school and as the teacher began they always made sure to state the author and the illustrator, it felt very important then. It feels very important now. How often do we pick up a book solely based on its cover? I'll admit, I do it more often then not. So in honor of these fabulous illustrators I'm posting some links to their pages. Happy browsing!

Brett Helquist
- best known for his work on the Lemony Snicket series (aka Daniel Handler's little gems).

David Levinthal - cover artist for some of Sarah Vowell's books like The Wordy Shipmates and The Partly Coulded Patriot.

Marcel Dzama - he's also done some illustration work for Sarah Vowell, along with some cd cover art you may recognize (like Beck's Guero).

2 comments:

  1. Obviously I have a profound love for illustration. AND yes, I look at book cover art the same way I do CD cover art. Often times I want to buy something because the art is so amazing and then I look at the synopsis and I change my mind, but the art work was certainly doing its intended job.

    I don't think I told you, but I am working on a book of illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very envious that you are going to see Daniel Handler speak, though I haven't read any of Sarah Vowell's books yet. I'll have to try that next.

    ReplyDelete